Vice Chancellor for Fairness and Inclusion Dania Matos and Vice Chancellor for Scholar Affairs Stephen Sutton despatched the next message to the campus group:
This weekend lots of our Asian American and Pacific Islander (AA&PI) households and communities, like their friends the world over, welcomed Lunar New Yr. In close by Monterey Park, these celebrations had been interrupted by unimaginable violence and grief when a mass capturing occurred on the Star Ballroom Dance Studio, killing 11 folks and traumatizing numerous extra. We additionally acknowledge that two shootings in Half Moon Bay at the moment killed a number of farmworkers. We stand in shock and unhappiness with our California communities and AA&PI households.
In going through the very actual misery that violence like this causes, it’s important to seek out group, collect in areas for therapeutic, and know that we aren’t alone. The Divisions of Fairness & Inclusion and Scholar Affairs grieve with you and provide compassion as we collectively course of ongoing upset.
A few of chances are you’ll be searching for campus assets and assist. Others may be questioning what you are able to do to assist. We provide the next as a beginning place and encourage you to share this checklist extensively:
For college students:
- Psychological Well being Disaster Assist and Assets. Pressing drop-in counseling is obtainable by calling 510-642-9494. Counselors can be found between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday by Friday. For after-hours assist, name 855-817-5667.
- The Workplace of the Affiliate Vice Chancellor and Dean of College students presents an on-line well-being useful resource.
- CalLink has a searchable database of student-run organizations and student-sponsored occasions.
For workers and college:
For all the UC Berkeley campus group:
- In case you are a survivor of or are at present experiencing sexual violence, home violence, or interpersonal violence, please entry confidential and free campus-based assist by PATH to Care. Name their Pressing Assist Line day or evening at 510-643-2005.
- The Asian Pacific American Scholar Improvement group has created an on-line Useful resource Information. Please observe them on Instagram and join their e-newsletter to remain linked as their group develops new assets and hosts occasions for the AA&PI campus group.
- The Gender Fairness Useful resource Heart (GenEQ) has academic and group empowerment assets that particularly reply to points surrounding sexual harassment & sexual violence (SVSH). In addition they have an in depth on-line useful resource web page supporting ladies’s psychological, bodily, and emotional wellness; a drop-in group area; and self-defense for all workshops.
- The Coordinated Neighborhood Overview Crew, with assist from the SVSH Advisor Workplace, has a centralized web site sharing key details about assist companies and reporting choices, duties for all UC Berkeley group members, the steps the campus is taking to forestall and reply to SVSH, and how one can become involved.
- The Workplace for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination responds to and resolves experiences of protected class discrimination and harassment.
Your ache and unhappiness at this second are actual. They are going to be with you — maybe longer than you’ll ever need — as you attempt to sq. the acute violence of what simply occurred with the tempo, rhythm, and comforting ritual of your on a regular basis life. Please take the time that you must pause, retaining in thoughts that you’re liked and might take inspiration from our collective company. That is how we’ll form and reimagine a extra simply and protected actuality for the higher. That is how we take care of one another.