We’re happy to announce the launch of our third BMC Ecology and Evolution picture competitors! Submit your pictures and the tales behind them for an opportunity to focus on your analysis, win prizes, and have your images featured within the journal.
Final 12 months’s competitors attracted substantial consideration from researchers and the broader public. The profitable pictures have been highlighted in lots of worldwide media retailers, together with Science, New Scientist, Science Information, Stay Science, Gizmodo, Nationwide Geographic España, CNN, The Telegraph, and MailOnline. We have been additionally delighted to see the profitable picture, taken by Evolutionary biologist Roberto García Roa depicting a parasitic fungus erupting from the physique of a fly, featured in Nature’s finest science pictures of 2022. To be taught extra about final 12 months’s winner, please learn our editorial.
The competitors offers a unbelievable alternative to showcase analysis and the great thing about nature to a broad viewers. Anybody affiliated with a analysis establishment is eligible to enter one picture into every of the next 4 classes:
- Analysis in motion. Pictures that showcase ecological or environmental biology analysis or seize experiences of conducting research and amassing knowledge.
- Defending our planet. Pictures conveying efforts to help and lift consciousness of the United Nations Sustainable Improvement Objectives (SDGs):
– SDG6.6: Shield and restore water-related ecosystems
– SDG14: Preserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine assets for sustainable improvement
– SDG15: Shield, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably handle forests, fight desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and biodiversity loss.
- Vegetation and Fungi. Pictures depicting:
– The significance of vegetation and fungi in ecosystems
– The extraordinary approach vegetation and fungi have advanced to draw bugs to breed and guarantee survival.
– Extinction danger and threats to vegetation and fungi.
- Paleoecology. Pictures which offer glimpses into long-lost worlds (e.g., fossil assemblages, microfossils, paleohistology and paleoart).
Judging the competitors will likely be members of the BMC Ecology and Evolution editorial board, together with Jennifer Harman, the Editor of the journal. The journal will award the general winner €800, and the winner for every of the 4 classes will obtain €200. The journal can even award €50 to the runner up for every class.
The best way to submit your pictures and the tales behind them:
Please e-mail your pictures to the Editor, Jennifer Harman, at email@example.com with the topic line “BMC Ecology and Evolution Picture Competitors 2023” and embrace the next:
Contact particulars of Analysis Institute:
Twitter deal with (non-compulsory):
Description (Max. 250 phrases):
Knowledge attribution (if relevant):
I conform to launch this picture underneath a Artistic Commons License: Y/N
Please connect your picture entry to your e-mail.
All pictures should conform to the next standards:
- A minimal 300dpi (1831 x 1831 pixels for a raster picture).
- In one of many acceptable codecs – EPS, PDF (for line drawings), PNG, TIFF, JPEG, BMP, DOC, PPT [Please note that it is the responsibility of the author(s) to obtain permission from the copyright holder to reproduce figures or tables that have previously been published elsewhere.]
- In keeping with our insurance policies on open entry, entry to the competitors implies releasing the pictures underneath a inventive commons license to permit file sharing with correct attribution.
Submit your pictures now!
We’ll be posting common updates on the competitors within the coming months, so don’t overlook to maintain updated by studying our weblog or by following us on Twitter @BMC_series
The deadline for entries is the first of June 2023, with winners introduced in August 2023.