The IELTS Talking check format has three elements. On this put up, we’ll take a detailed take a look at each and take into account some IELTS Talking ideas and techniques that can assist you increase your rating. We’ve additionally included a printable PDF cheat sheet that features the Half 1, 2, and three ideas from this web page, however expands on them with further explanations and examples!
Earlier than we get to recommendation for the particular elements, let’s take a look at some normal IELTS Talking ideas for self-study.
IELTS Talking Suggestions and Methods for Self-Examine
Self research may be difficult, particularly for an interactive English talent like talking. Our lead teacher Eliot has made a fantastic video of self-study recommendation for IELTS Talking. And under that video, take pleasure in an inventory of Magoosh’s high 10 self-study ideas and methods!
Our college students have discovered IELTS Talking check ideas 7 to 10 above to be particularly helpful. So Eliot has made a YouTube video that explores these 4 IELTS Talking ideas in even better element:
Listed below are ten self-study IELTS Talking ideas from Magoosh’s high IELTS specialists.
Tip 1: Throughout Follow, Be Relaxed!
Being relaxed and assured helps make your English extra pure; that in flip helps fluency. After all, on the true check, enjoyable may be simpler mentioned than carried out. However for those who apply giving responses with out stress throughout self-study, you’re extra prone to be assured on check day.
Tip 2: Broaden Your Vocabulary, However Preserve Issues Easy.
Examine vocabulary so to use a variety of phrases with confidence. However keep in mind, English speech has easier vocabulary than extremely educational written English. To see the best vary of phrases, try our article on IELTS Talking vocabulary.
Tip 3: Follow Paraphrasing.
If you happen to copy the precise phrases out of your Half 2 matter card or repeat the precise phrases out of your IELTS examiner, you’re not demonstrating your individual language capacity. To keep away from this, spend a while training placing issues into your individual phrases.
Tip 4: Use a Number of Grammar.
Throughout self-study, while you say one thing out loud for a apply talking response, strive saying that very same factor in just a few other ways, with completely different grammar. This may assist you perceive the other ways you might say one thing on check day, and select the most effective, most diverse grammar.
Tip 5: Follow Each Intonation and Pronunciation
Do not forget that the sound of English (and any language!) is partly about pronunciation (the person sounds) and partly about intonation (the tone and rhythm of the language). For intonation, this tutorial from the Magoosh TOEFL Weblog (additionally relevant to IELTS) is a good place to start out.
Tip 6: Be Assured, Even when You Have an Accent.
I say if you’ve gotten an accent. However realistically, everybody has an accent. Even most native English audio system have pronunciation that’s a minimum of somewhat completely different from the usual on the IELTS. And that’s OK! Don’t waste time attempting to do away with your accent throughout apply.
Tip 7: Report Your self and Hear Again.
That is particularly essential for self-study. Magoosh IELTS lets its subscribers document and save their responses, however there are lots of different applied sciences– in your PC or on the internet– that allow you to do that.
Tip 8: Overview the Responses of Different Check-Takers.
This is likely one of the most essential IELTS Talking ideas, a “should do” for self-studiers. Right here once more, Magoosh IELTS has you lined. However there are additionally loads of glorious free methods to take heed to different college students’ mannequin solutions to pattern questions on the Web, corresponding to this glorious web page from the official IELTS web site.
Tip 9: Discover Others to Assist You with IELTS Talking
“Wait”, you may assume. “Aren’t we speaking about self-study? Sure, however self-study doesn’t at all times imply learning alone. Even for those who aren’t taking a category or utilizing a tutor, sources corresponding to research companions, IELTS assist boards, or Magoosh’s IELTS Talking evaluation may be helpful.
Tip 10: Keep Disciplined and Observe a Plan.
For IELTS check self-studiers, this the is most essential of the IELTS Talking ideas. Our web page of IELTS research schedules might help you keep disciplined and plan-focused as you put together for the entire IELTS examination. Or, you can also make the same plan of your individual.
IELTS Talking Suggestions for a Excessive Rating: Components 1, 2, and three
Now, for some IELTS talking ideas for every particular person a part of the Talking examination. The following tips will assist you meet the marking standards within the IELTS Talking band descriptors. Learn on for tactics to get a excessive rating!
IELTS Talking Half 1
- Keep away from easy solutions. In Half 1, you’ll typically be requested normal questions on acquainted matters that technically may be answered with only a phrase or two, or with a easy “sure” or “no.” However to get a fantastic rating, you’ll have to reply in better element. And for the reason that matter of Half 1 is you, it’s best to have a lot to say!
- However don’t give solutions which are too lengthy. In the end, on this primary a part of the check, the questions are nonetheless fairly easy. If you happen to communicate for too lengthy on anyone response, you danger going off matter. (See web page 1 of our Talking Methods PDF for examples of a solution of the best size.)
IELTS Talking Half 2
- Discuss each a part of the subject. The Process card for Half 2 is a multipart query. Lacking a component is likely one of the best methods to overlook factors!
- Keep centered. Be sure to reply very on to the prompts on the web page, and don’t talk about unrelated matters.
- Pay particular consideration to Characteristic 3 on the subject card. This a part of the cardboard requires an prolonged response with details and supporting particulars. (For pattern matter playing cards, see our put up on IELTS Talking Half 2.
- Preserve these notes easy. You actually can’t write that many notes in 60 seconds. Follow creating notes that use just some phrases to reference every factor you’ll say.
IELTS Talking Half 3